From:
Tim Arheit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 08:25:37 -0500
I've contacted Titan Scan (The owner of the irradiation facility in Lima, OH)
to see if that is something they would do.  And more importantly, the price,
because it's a moot point if it's not cost effective.

I've included the response I've had so far because it contains some useful
information.  Hopefully I will have more after the first of the year.

-Tim Arheit

------------------------------

Dear Tim,

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Michael Stern, and I am Director,
Technological Applications, here at Titan Scan Technologies. Your questions
have been routed to my attention.

Thank you for your inquiry. Titan Scan Technologies was incorporated in
1991, bringing together linear accelerator technology designed by the Titan
Corporation and experts in the field of medical device sterilization. Titan
is now the recognized leader in medical device sterilization utilizing
electron beam. As the company has grown, the mix of markets being served has
expanded to include food products, pharmaceuticals, consumer goods and most
recently, during the anthrax crisis, the United States mail.
Titan Scan Technologies owns and operates four Contract Services Centers in
the US, including the one located in Lima, OH. These Service Centers are ISO
9002, EN 46002 and EN 552 certified. In addition to owning and operating
Contract Service Centers, the company builds electron beam systems for any
manufacturer or group of manufacturers who may wish to own or co-own their
own sterilization facility.

While I am not familiar with the Australian irradiation protocols for
sanitizing of beekeping equipment, we are aware of this practice being in
place in Canada. Studies by the British Columbia Ministry of Agriculture and
Food have established that application of a 10 kiloGrays (kGy) dose of
irradiation kills in excess of 99% of AFB spores and makes combs safe for
bees to rear healthy brood. Additionally, it is our understanding that
dried, milled pollen is also being treated by EB in Canada, at dose levels
of 8-10 kGy, to destroy AFB and chalkbrood spores.

Based on the studies conducted in 1984 by the USDA on other EB equipment, we
estimate that the high energy (10 MeV) of the horizontal beam at our Lima,
OH facility would be able to penetrate roughly 5 empty frames of comb
arranged vertical to the beam. Decontamination of greater than twice that
depth would be possible by 2-sided irradiation.

To further explore the possibilities and costs of irradiating beekeeping
equipment at our Lima Contract Services Center, I am going to put you in
touch with Peter French, one of our Business Development Managers, who is
responsible for the Lima facility. I have copied him on this e-mail, and he
will follow up with you after the first of the year.

In the meantime, if you have any additional technical questions, please
don't hesitate to get in touch with me directly. For additional details
regarding EB treatment of beekeeping equipment in Canada, you may want to
review the following article:
Don Nelson, Kerry Clark, and Adony Melathopoulos; "Electron Beam
Irradiation: A New Option for Bee Disease Management" Hivelights, Vol. 15,
No. 2, pp. 10-12 (2002).

Best regards,
Michael Stern
Michael Stern