From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:46:36 -0500
Jerry said:

> Regardless of my personal opinions, we can't yet say that N. ceranae
causes
> CCD.  I can say, it certainly is associated with the  syndrome in the
colonies
> that we've sampled.

If you look at what data has been published so far, BOTH kinds of Nosema

have been consistently present in CCD colonies at the same time.  Are
you
also finding both kinds of Nosema in every CCD case, or have you seen
CCD
colonies with only one kind of Nosema or the other?

Paper:
http://bee-quick.com/reprints/dapaper.pdf
Supplemental Data:
http://bee-quick.com/reprints/dedetails.pdf
English Translation:
http://bee-quick.com/reprints/reads.pdf

> FYI, in S. African, a  combination of a specific virus and N. ceranae
has
> been named 'suicide disease'.

Do you know which virus this is?

Also, given that the meeting is going on this afternoon, I guess that it

can be confirmed that Ian Lipkin, the fellow from Columbia U. who did
the
"metagenomics" work associated with the unfortunate paper in "Science"
claiming that IAPV was "strongly associated" with CCD, (and "wink-wink,
nudge-nudge, we are not saying it causes CCD, BUT...") pulled out of the
Entomological Society of America symposium on CCD.
http://esa.confex.com/esa/2007/techprogram/session_6417.htm

My understanding is that they suddenly said that they are "too busy".
He didn't even send a grad student to represent the group.

Could the actual reason have been this data?
http://www.dadant.com/documents/ChenandEvansarticlefromDec07ABJ.pdf

Sure hope this wasn't the cause:
http://bee-quick.com/reprints/claims_collapse.pdf