From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 06:40:28 -0400
  The main problem with OA is treating when the colony is broodless,
something easily done in northern cold climates
>so the colony is usually broodless (in
>November in Maine.

I talk regularly to Tony J, your state inspector. Last January, he was
setting up observation hives for a bee meeting. He found brood in the
colonies he opened.

I treated with vaporized Oxalic last November, and had a wide range of
success. Some colonies had a large population of Varroa in early summer,
while I could find none in some yards. I'm guessing that colonies with
brood was the problem.
Mike