From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 22:54:52 -0600
> I would be very interested in tips on what a backyard beekeeper can
> do to get high quality honey that is the equal of that produced by
> commerical beekeepers.

> For example, is the testing that would be
> necessary, available and afforable to the backyard beekeeper?  Who do
> you go to for such testing?

Sorry if you got the impression that all backlot beekeepers are
dangerous.

I'd say that most are quite safe and competant and also state that,
other than paints, preservatives, non-standard hive construction
materials, poor choices of feed, off-label use of chemicals, miticides
and drugs or home remedies and accidental contamination of the honey in
removing, transporting, extraction, bottling and labelling, there is
very little to worrry about, except, possibly, local environmental
contamination or sabotage.

Testing is really not necessary where the user is able to know every
step and every material that goes into the production of the honey.
That is why HACCP or HACCP-like certifications will become mandatory in
all stages of food production in developed countries within a few years.
Testing is less than fully adequate backup method of obtaining some
confidence in a product that does not have a documented and certified
history.

Although, backlot honey has a potential to be the most dangerous, it
also has the potential to be the safest.  Assuming you have never used
anything in contact with or close proximity to your honey that you would
not comfortably put in your mouth, you have no worries.  If you are
using drugs and miticides, then you have to decide just how comfortable
you are with the way that you used them, and with the assurances of
authorities that they are safe.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com
As I wrote this, it felt like deja vue.
I think there is lots on honey quality in the archives.