Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 23:34:22 +0000
 CHRS: IBMPC 2
 CODEPAGE: 850
 MSGID: 240:244/186 8174b7e3
 REPLY: 240:44/0 c0aa2a8c
 PID: FDAPX/w 1.13 UnReg(48)
I have been observing but not participating in the discussion on the dance etc
but I was struck by Roy Nettlebeck's remark that on the need to encourage
beekeeping to restore natural balance.  I believe that Roy is writing from the
USA where the honeybee is an introduced species.  If his objective is really to
RESTORE natural balance then logic dictates that the honeybee should be
exterminated in the USA.
It is not only an alien species itself but it facilitates and perpetuates the
existence of many other alien species which compete with native species, eg,
oranges, almonds and alfalfa among others.
In the US the honeybee is an unnatural introduction and thrives in a largely
artificial environment and a lot of people earn their bread and honey thereby.
Chris Slade (writing from the UK where the Honeybee belongs)
---
 * Origin: Beenet Point (240:244/186)