From:
BEE-L Moderators <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2011 11:52:38 -0500
BEE-L moderators have two choices when a post arrives:  Approve it or reject it.

Therefore if a post deoes not conform to our guidelines which are mentioned at
the botton line of every message we simply reject it and it goes nowhere.

Sometimes posts contain material that is worthwhile and in that case, we either
write the sender and ask to have the posted edited and resumitted in an
acceptable form or post the acceptable portion from our own accounts under
our own names if the author can't or won't resubmit for whatever reasons.

Non-conforming messages are a real pain for the moderators, so please read
the guidelines listed at the end of this message and trim your quotes.

We do not edit messages posted.

Here are several recent messages that we thought worth rescuing:

---

Re: [BEE-L] Carniolan Italian F1 crosses and temperament

From:Geert van Eizenga
Tue, 8 Mar 2011 16:11:48 +0100

Hallo Deanne!

Before going into a lot of theoretical issues, I can tell you: not every
Carnolian behaves as a standard "Carnolian": there are a lot of differences!
And not every strain Italian bee is a gentle bee. Not every F1-cross Italian
x Carnolian is the same! Last year we bought some New Zealand queens which
are very gentle, regularly; this time they turned out vicious stingers. If
these Carnolians you have in mind to purchase are provided by a professional
queenrearer you might expect that he intends to continue to deliver the same
quality year after year.  Why not do a tryout with just a few queens. Though
I might give you another matter to consider: what about the effect of the
drones such carnolian queens will produce, later? So: you will experience
later also a tryout with daughters of your Italian queens, which will mate
consequently with the new Carnolian drones. Personally, I never liked the
swarming problems with Carnolians. That brings a lot of extra work (a job
that nature is playing with the beekeeper and can never be scheduled in
advance!)

Geert Van Eizenga

Holland/Europe

> Can anyone provide me references/citations re temperament of F1 crosses of
> Italian and Carniolans?   And particularly if directionality of the cross
> affects the result?

Green Bee Consultancy
Drs.Geert Van Eizenga
Marnelaan 41