From:
"P. David Quesada" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2012 06:37:38 -0400
Hi all

Rinderer (et. al.) states on a research paper(Science of Bee Culture, Vol 4 nº1): “some beekeepers use counts of 20 million spores per bee from apiary samples to guide treatment”

On the other side…

Mussen E., states on Eric’s newsletter (UC Davis-3/11/11) “…in Minnesota, if a colony population had one million or more spores per bee in April, we fed it two gallons of fumagilin-medicated…”

Does exist an established economic threshold for nosema spore counts?
Does anyone know a scientific paper or research about this topic?

E. Mussen also states on newsletter: “If infection levels are below 10.000 spores per bee, no spores will be seen over the entire grid…”

Could anyone help me showing where this detection level appears (scientific paper, article…)?

Thanks

P. David Quesada
Honey Bee Pathology Lab
Extremadura, Spain