From:
Judy and Dave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 13:43:41 -0500
Lloyd Spear wrote:

>  Anyone able to shed more
> light on whether caution should be exercised in using Epipens?

When Dave and I first decided to keep bees, I also asked my doc about the
Epipen.  I told him neither Dave nor myself had ever had an allergic reaction
but that we were concerned about visitors or other family that may come in
contact with the bees.

The doctor was surprised but happy that we were thinking ahead and planning
well.  He wrote a prescription for 3 Epipens.

He was very precise in his instruction.  He said MOST, if not all, people will
claim to be allergic to bee stings.  When, in fact, very few are.  Most people
have 'skin reactions' for which the Epipen is not used.  His instructions to the
letter were:

Never use the Epipen until you can see that the person can't breathe.

He went on to say that some people have panic attacks but will not have the
trouble of getting air into their lungs.  He emphasized that you should actually
witness the breathing problem.  He said the Epi works quick enough that you
still have time to use it.  Take the time to watch the victim while you get the
Epi ready.  He further stated that the Epi is contraindicated for a person with
heart problems.  However, if they can't breathe the Epi is the lesser of 2
worries.  And get them to a hospital.

Judy in Kentucky, USA