From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 08:01:04 -0600
> I have two colonies in E TN that are a bit weak on stores and feel I
> may need to feed them possibly thru the winter.  Having just
> returned to beekeeping I have no frames of honey to give them.  I
> seem to recall a discussion some months ago about in-hive feeders
> 'on the cheap'.  I don't have division board feeders.  Are there
> reasonable (all opinions appreciated) home-made alternatives for
> providing in-hive feeding during the winter.

Having read the replies already posted, I would add:

Our experience - up here in Canada where the winters are cold and
long, people have been known to feed continuously over the winter -
I've done it myself.  However, the hives aren't worth much in the
spring, even though they survive.

For some reason, feeding less than a gallon in the fall seems to
condemn them rather than helping.

I recommend a bulk feeder of the hivetop variety if you are too close
to other beekeepers to provide a rob feeder outside the hive.

Either a 2 1/2 gallon pail or a square hivetop with at least two
gakllon capacity would do.

If the bees don't take it, then they are either no good or the hive
is full.

An alternative is to wait until the first hint of spring - if you are sure they won't
starve before then - and feed them at that time.  It will stimulate them as well as ensure
their survival.

FWIW

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                    VE6CFK
Rural Route One, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada  T0M 1Y0
Honey. Bees, Art, & Futures <http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka>