From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 05:10:39 -0800
>Dee’s Reply:
>I have never seen anything new. In all the years we have
>kept bees commerciallly, seeing small after swarms go into
>queenless colonies is nothing new. .... So is this takeover by so-called African >bees or just surplus swarms looking for a natural home and >finding one?

>So this tells me that swarms normally and for many decades
>have been observed going into colonies ........needing a
>new queen.

I am not disputing Dee’s claim.  However, is it conjecture?  Dee, you’ve seen it happen.  Do/Did you know for certain that the hive being invaded was queenless?

Africanization is becoming a real concern for those of us in lower Alabama now.  We need to be on top of this now, constantly.  We need factual information, not conjecture.  I have hives located close to cattle.  I do not need for these bees to attack any member of the herd or I will loose my bee yard.  It is a nice one with a pond at the back of it for water in the summer.  I am also planning to have nucs located at the back of a tiny pecan orchard and don’t need the Africanized bees there.

Mike in lower Alabama

Yahoo! Shopping