From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2007 08:08:12 -0400
> I am not suggesting that this is the cause of CCD.

> But I don't think that it is very unreasonable to ask for
> someone to do some testing of corn syrup to see if there is
> any present when we know that it is present in the raw material.

Well, what IS present in the raw material?

Plants break down Imadocloprid when they metabolize it, and
bees seem to take those metabolites (as found in netar and pollen)
and further break them down.  At present, there is a need to
track down the specific chemical process is both in the plant
and in the bee, so we know what to look for when doing things
like "testing HFCS".

The post-harvest processing of corn into HFCS is clearly a
special case, so the chemical processes there are also
complex enough to require a bio-chemist or three to deterimine
what the end products and byproducts would be.

See "Metabolism of imidacloprid in Apis mellifera",
S. Suchail et al., Pest Management Science 60: 291-296, 2003.