From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 10:01:30 -0600
Hello All,
I have received quite a few emails requesting information on how to get a
couple pure Australian queens or a pure Australian breeder queen.

The add in the February ABJ by Australian Queen Bee Exporters offers
production queens but you need to order 500.

No offer of breeder queens.

We have got four lines of  Australian queens. An instrumentally inseminated
(II) queen could be easily produced of several combinations but pure open
mated production queens are not an option (at this time) unless people would
want a hybrid. Drones from these queens would be pure Austrailan or pure
imported from England Buckfast (by way of Australia). We have got both.

Anyway I am not in the business of selling queens but Dann Purvis is and we
are sharing pure Australian queens with Dann. He will get the same four
lines we have got to keep pure for us with II.
The lines:
Two Australian lines , A pure Buckfast line and a pure Italian line imported
directly from Italy (by way of Australia). The pure buckfast & Italian were
brought into Australia through the import service I describe in part two of
my Australian import article in the May ABJ.

I think first beekeepers need to see the performance of the Australian bees
& queens and the way they handle varroa & tracheal mites. A follow-up
article on the Australian bees is planned for fall & spring of 2006.

If you want a pure II breeder queen after the busy season I believe
(although Dann and I have not discussed the issue yet) Purvis Brothers would
raise an inseminate the above combination you desire. Dann will be getting
the above queens as soon as we get Purvis Brothers queens to exchange
with.(April).  He will then need to introduce and get mature drones to graft
with. I would guess June as an early date. Hope Dann is OK with the above.

Bob