From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 15:07:12 -0500
>That was the FIRST time I actually removed frames from a hive without
>wearing at least a veil (so, it was a learning experience for me, too).

And what be the lesson for the boy is things had went bad?

Story time:

I work around bees all the time without protection but get plenty of stings.

Back when all the CCD was going on I had a news crew out to look at some
open hives. Not that those news people had a clue as to what they were
looking at! Been filmed plenty of times by the media.

One of my helpers (usually wears a suit like the newspaper guy and his
cameraman.) decided because he was going to be on TV would not wear a suit
like I do. I can take a sting without even changing my expression but not my
help.

Have you ever noticed the bees always seem to pick on certain people. I was
showing the newsman the insides of the hives ( frames) and out of the corner
of my eye I saw the helper getting 5-10 stings on the face & neck. he was
not looking very happy so I took a frame and walked away from the hive to
hold up to the sun and the camera followed. the newsman noticed my helper
was gone but I said he was most likely bored with looking through hives.

On the news that night my helper did not appear. Not sure the news people
edited out his part or simply did not catch.

People may not agree with what I am about to say but what I firmly believe.

When you have a full immunity to stings ( no swelling or reaction other than
the burn/itch at first) and no fear of bees *or* being stung the bees seem
to leave you alone. I have read fear triggers a response the bees sense. Not
sure if true but I am never the beekeeper the bees are popping the veil on
or buzzing. I do  get what looks like a swarm on the back and neck many
times.

Another story:
I was working hives years ago without protection and a land owner on a four
wheeler rode by at a safe distance with a boy on the back. I heard the land
owner say:
" look at the dumb ass opening those bees without protection!"
I went back to work checking the hives  (using a smoker).

I think the public for the most part thinks its pretty dumb to open a bee
hive without protection?

bob