Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2012 10:46:33 -0600
My favourite hot weather bee suit is a pair of Birkenstocks, blue jean
cut-offs and a broad-brimmed hat.  That's it.  No veil to restrict
vision and cause sweating, but usually sunglasses or, occasionally when
required, reading glasses.

This costume can be worn even when blowing bees, when used in
conjunction with discreet and preemptive use of a good smoker, common
sense, and an awareness of conditions and bee temper -- which you will
certainly have if you dress this way.

One caveat: don't work dressed like this near anyone wearing a suit and
veil, and especially anyone wearing gloves.  For one thing, anyone
dressed like that when you are not is bound to be pretty insensitive and
clumsy.

That said, I often wear a loose-fitting, very lightweight bee suit over
shorts to reduce sun exposure if I work at mid-day, if there is much
dripping honey, or many crawling bees, like when closing up in late
evening.  I really hate using a veil, but sometimes it is necessary.

Mid-day is a bad time to be in the sun, but commercial beekeepers often
have to work all day.  Hobbyists and retired beekeepers can usually
choose their work hours and IMO, evening, especially during flows is a
great time to be in the beeyard.  Don't tarry too long though or the
bees will tell you it is time to go home.

Early morning can be a good time, too, but sometimes the bees can be
crabby or sluggish.