From:
Justin Kay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2019 12:12:08 -0500

> You would have to convince the consumer that "local bees" made their
> "local honey" while attempting to explain why your honey costs more, and
> I don't see that happening...they don't care.

They do just that in Iceland. A premium is paid by Icelandic shoppers for
honey made from Icelandic bees in Iceland, despite having ready access to
cheaper imported honey. There is no perceived increase in quality though.
Although the premium paid has more to do with the fact that it was made
from people in Iceland and supports the local economy, not that it's from
Icelandic bees. There was an article in ABJ about it last year I think.

Although I agree with you as it relates to the US. In my experience, I get
a premium price to be paid for my "local honey" when compared to commercial
operations in the area. This premium is paid for "local honey" because the
consumer believes it is of higher quality, not because it is actually
"local" or from "local bees." Although I make no claim to having honey of
higher quality.