From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 03:20:06 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I need to repair a polystyrene brood body and wonder if anyone has a
> recommendation of which glue is suitable. Also I will be painting the brood
> bodies is there a paint that is suitable?

It would have been be helpful if you could enlighten me as to what the nature
of the damage is.

However....

The most common breakage is when the box has been subject to diagonal stress
and has cracked across the corners. In this case you just use ordinary PVA
wood glue, plenty of it, and leave the box under load for a couple of days till
the glue dries. It helps considerably in this case to also nail it. Just two or
three four inch nails in the thick material at the corners spanning the crack
will suffice. Works fine. You can also dispense with the loading/clamping,
and just use the box as soon as the exterior glue is dry.

Smaller pieces broken out just need the glueing back into place.

Painting is more complex, as people have differing viewpoints on what they
want. Some want a non slip surface and use a matt finish or water based paint.

Some paints are quite explicit about not being used on polystyrene.

Thinners eats polystyrene.

However, we use normal exterior gloss (which is one of those said to be
unsuitable for poly boxes), and add a *little* thinners, and spray it on (forget
the thinners if you are going to brush it on). The effect is very good, and the
thinners causes a tiny amount of dissolving of the polystyrene material
resulting in a total bond between the paint and the box which will never flake as it
has become an integral part of the box.

Test a little of the paint you select on the inside surface of a box first,
and if all is OK (you will know pretty well instantly if it is not) just go
ahead and do it. These boxes need only a sparing coat to prevent algal growth
into the material so no need to lay it on thick.

Feeders need painting INSIDE as well, to prevent syrup forcing its way
between the beads into the material.

Hope this all helps

Murray