From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2008 09:53:18 -0800
I haven't used grease patties for a while myself, mostly because my bees didn't really care for them.  I mixed two parts sugar to one part Crisco.  I laid patties out on waxed paper just to keep things neater in the truck, then pulled the top sheet off when they went in the hive.

  Lately, there have been rumors that their use attracts Small Hive Beetles.  I can't find that source or substantiate it.  The ideal behind grease patties was that their use covered up the "smell" of the younger bees and confused the varroa mites.

  I switched to six blue shop towels soaked in one cup of canola oil.  I fold the towels into "fourths," place them in a sandwich container, pour the oil over them and let them sit overnight.  The bees shred the towels and get greasy.  I'm not sure if they attract SHB.

  Grant
  Jackson, MO  http://www.25hives.homestead.com