From:
"Matthew W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 22:42:49 -0600
This is my first contribution to Bee-L in over a year so I'm making it a
"good-news" post!

Also I'd like to say "Hi" to old bee friends...
--------
9/23/2002
After spending several days collecting information and talking to numerous
individuals with 'issues'  (real & imaginary) regarding bees, a beekeeping
ordinance banning bees within the city limits of Castle Rock, CO was
overturned tonight.

Although the issue was brought to council last October by another beekeeper
(Paul Hendricks - Sunshine Honey Company) I'm pleased to say I helped carry
the fight twice (study session and the vote) by burning the midnight oil and
perfecting a set of reports to address 'funny' issues and questions brought
up by council.

Either the last 10-page report addressing bee concerns for the town or my
hap-hazard speech, one of the two must have been received well because they
voted 5 to 2 to allow beekeeping!  Tough?  You wouldn't believe the types of
questions & opposition that was brought up by council members during the
study session.  It just took a little elbow grease and creative
thinking/writing to bring 'objections' over to 'understanding'.

Unfortunately the victory tonight is bittersweet.  The council approved
beekeeping without regard to zoning OR by lot size (biggie because they
started the night with a 10 acre min) - but the one clause is that
beekeeping will be allowed by "special review".  Meaning anyone can protest
the application.  Fine?  It would be and I had actually  encouraged the idea
that 'would-be' beekeepers get approval from adjoining land owners prior to
placing a hive - but I just found out the application fee for any "Special
Review" is $1,185.00!

Yes, the decimal point is in the right place.  Unbelievable?  Seems there's
a learning curve to this politics-stuff.

Back to the drawing board!  I would encourage ANYONE interested in changing
their ordinances to stand up and be heard.  I'll send out my legwork
covering council, police and other objections to anyone interested in
protesting their beekeeping ordinance.

Matthew Westall - "E-Bees" - Castle Rock, CO

(trying my best to walk in the footsteps of others...and at times venturing
on my own)
To George Imrie, Dick Allen, Arron Morris, Lloyd Spear (feel like I'm on
stage at the emmy's?) and NUMEROUS others - this victory is yours too as
I've learned so much from your contributions and questions to Bee-L..