From:
Richard Chapin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 23:51:21 -0500
><< I observed the bees removing drones from the
> hives back in late August and normally I don't see any more until spring.
> All colonies appear to be healthy with plenty of stores.  Has anyone seen
> drones in their hives at this time of year?  I don't think I have a
> problem, it is just unusual to see drones at this time of year. >>
>
>  It's not unusual here, particularly in a strong hive.  Some winters we keep
>drones the entire winter.  But one cold spell will get them tossed in a
>hurry!  You aren't too far north of us (Tennesee).

Today, on our first (and probably only) warm (55 F) winter day, with
cleansing flights possible, I observed one drone, from my most defensive
colony, along with the other aged casualties in front of the hive.  From
his condition, he could not have been dead very long.
On the subject of "who are we?", many of us may not respond often, but we
are there every day (or late at night), reading, learning, and being
grateful for this list, despite the self-appointed "police" :)
Yes, we are a "family", for better or for worse, because we are the ones on
line who care about these magnificent creatures.
Richard Chapin
Montrose, PA, USA

                  (\
                  (/