From:
Tim Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 08:18:58 -0800
Isis, I may be wrong but I think the problem is that the wording in the
article could be more clear. What I read here

"However, recent findings (pers. communication, W. L. Rubink) of ~25%
European mtDNA persisting in the Texas feral population are
encouraging.However, recent findings (pers. communication, W. L. Rubink) of
~25% European mtDNA persisting in the Texas feral population are
encouraging."

Is that about a quarter of the feral hives remaining are of primarily
European background. I think if the author were talking of neutral markers
he wouldn't have used the term mtDNA because neutral markers are found both
patralinearly and matrilinearly.

But since that seems to contradict other data in the article, we'd best wait
for Adrian to chime in :-)