From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 16:45:17 -0800
Mark writes:
Can anyone verify for me the idea that honey from India
could be
bought at the dock in Montreal, Quebec, Canada for .06/lb
in the early 1980s?

Reply:
Being a commercial beekeeper for a long time and
remembering back to the 1980s.........there was a time with
the ASCS office then that honey to packers was about .30 lb
thereabouts on the buyback program. That would put
Argentina and Mexican honey cheaper and the honey from SEA
area cheaper yet. So I don't see it as unreasonable.

Mark continues:
What kind of bees would people in India be working in the
1980s?
  What kind of production did India have in the 1980s?
Enough to
export?

Reply:
They were working the large dorsata bees in the trees in
the forests in volume and also bees called cultured and/or
domestic bees in hives also (not sure on the cultured name
name part in remembering). But they did ship volume in
honey and China would be in this picture also.

Respectfully submitted,

Dee A. Lusby
Small Cell Commercial Beekeeper
Moyza, Arizona