Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:09:07 GMT
There has got to be a better way.  I don't need #1 apples if I have to consume pesticides.
A couple of innovative alternative approaches to insect and fungus control in fruit orchards:

http://www.rollingrivernursery.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=29
http://californiabirdwatching.wordpress.com/2009/05/20/ten-birds-that-help-control-garden-pests/
One might be able to do away with sprays altogether.  Makes for a better environment for the honey bees, too!
I am building a bunch of house wren nest boxes for my backyard orchard.  In addition to eating vast quantities of insects, wrens are very territorial and keep other birds away from blueberries, currants, grapes etc.
Waldemar