From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2005 12:09:25 -0800
--- Keith Benson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
...Bees in
> hives are owned,
> managed, bred, and have specific traits selected by
> humans.  Should they
> take off, voila, instant ferals.

When I first seen Keiths name responding to a post I
was involved in.  I figured, oh no, "I'm in the hot
seat again".  ;>)  I am making an asserted efforts not
to be too controversial in my posts.

In my own laymen terms,,,
This what Keith mentioned is I think a very good
point.  I'm assuming, that once the bees are free of
mans domain and control, breeding is then shifted in
future generations toward natural selecting of traits
required to survive in the wild state.

IMO, Domestic ferals not having a few traits needed to
adapt will be less fit and unable to influence the
genetic pool to a large degree.  And thus more
successful colonies that have a few of these traits
needed to survive on their own will be more fit.  And
studies have shown fit colonies not only produce
drones with a higher chance of mating, they also have
a significantly higher proportion of offspring sired
than drones from that mated from less successful
colonies.

Joe Waggle ~ Derry, PA
Small Cell Beekeeping
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'