From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 11:07:00 -0400
> www.maarec.org

The exact quote is:
> 5. If you observe high levels of varroa mites, treat them using soft
> chemicals, such as Apiguard,
> Apilife VAR, or MiteAway II.  We DO NOT recommend the use of oxalic
> acid, or home
> made hard chemical mixtures.
>
> Why?  Colonies experiencing CCD have been shown to have kidney
> (Malpighian tubule)
> problems similar to those seen in colonies treated with hard
> chemicals.  There are some
> reports that Oxalic acid may damage bee Malpighian tubules. Also the
> harder chemicals
> (fluvalinate, coumaphos, and amitraz) may have a sub lethal affect on
> bees which may
> add additional stress on the bees. By treating for varroa mites with
> soft chemicals, you
> are helping to keep the colonies mite population low while avoiding
> the potentially
> negative effects of hard chemicals.
You can read more into that than is there. The actual cause may be some
other pathogen that has the same effect. The advice, however, is prudent.

Still have to remember that CCD or disappearing disease or fall
dwindling have been around a lot longer than the chemicals quoted. CCD
may be something new or it may be old.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine