From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Sep 2002 09:54:56 -0600
I got to thinking and realized that we missed out on discussing a very
relevant topic because we got derailed by speculation about capensis genes,
Lusbys' bees, and a lot of other hypothetical stuff.

Blane made some very interesting comments and I am sure all of us who saw
Gloria Degrandi-Hoffman speak went away with more questions than answers.
I know I did.

I propose we discuss the facts, with zero tolerance on speculation, name
dropping, accusation and innuendo.  As they say, lets stick to the facts,
the facts, and nothing but the facts.

In my mind some of the questions are

1. Where exactly are these phenomena being observed.?  I heard mention of
Texas and Arizona, but when I was in AZ, speaking with a number of the
locals, no one said they were seeing this, except the lab.

2. Is this a seasonal thing? Are special conditions necessary?  Are only
certain EHB susceptible?  If it is on the loose in AZ, why was there no
evidence of this visible in Lusbys' bees.  They are near the lab.  They
accept a large number of swarms donated from neighbouring golf courses as I
understood it.  I saw NO bad brood patterns in their outfit.  Zero.  I have
never seen such consistently nice brood.

3. The term 'Africanized' is being used.  What degrees of Africanization
are being seen and how homogeneous is the 'Africanization'?

There are more questions, but I am out of time.  Blane made a good start.

For a refresher, visit
http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?S2=bee-l&q=pseudo+queen&0=S&s=&f
=&a=December+2001&b=

Does anyone on the list have any further hard info on this?

allen
http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Diary/