From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2011 12:50:34 -0600
Bob asked:

How long has KBV been in Canada?

Answer:
No idea.. There is no systematic surveillance in Canada to find out what
is going on like many other countries. Most inspection / surveillance
programs are reactive programs to crises..

Bob Said:
*If* those samples had both KBV & nosema ceranae then many *might*
conclude
the combination of the two (in combination with high varroa load) was
responsible for the loss and *might* conclude could fall into the CCD
category?

Answer: A hypothetical question and thanks for putting "If and might".
It is like most of CCD studies. They are a snap shot of what is found in
dead colonies. It is not necessarily true if we found a pathogen in the
hive it can be the cause of death unless we know pathological effects on
bees. By the way De Risi's study was excellent to follow all dynamics
and prevalence of pathogens in bee colonies through the year. It is a
corner stone to other studies to follow.  We still lack a study of cause
and effect in most of CCD work. For example, DeRisi found new viruses in
his study, but he did not claim any kill caused by these viruses. He
does not know the pathological effects of found viruses on bees. It is a
good start to study these viruses. Randy did try to create CCD in hives,
he can update us with what he found. Sorry I don't recall what he found.
My memory is getting shorter. It is the Canadian bee venom effect on my
brain cells!

Bob Said:
ALL researchers jumped on the band wagon but commercial beeks were slow
to join in and most
said PPB was the source of the problem until KBV & nosema ceranae were
found. These two were new to U.S. beekeeping but known around the world.

Answer I heard this term many times "PPB" as recent as last month when I
was in Colorado. I would disagree on using the "PPB" to describe what is
happening. IF we know what is happening and there is a proper best
management system to address these problems, beekeepers will be the
first to apply. I am sure that commercial beekeepers would not wait that
long to find a solution for CCD to stay in business. They developed
their own means to keep bees alive and get a fair price for their
pollination services. I like what DeRisi published as standard practices
for the beekeeping operation used in his  study. First paper came out of
the closet. He outlined standard beekeeping practices though it did not
get into much details. All the time we hear and read in published papers
varroa and nosema are under control but bees still killed. Why? this is
one or several million dollars question! And we still studying it......>

Now we know with these practices colony kill was 11-18%. If we take
fumagillin, Amitraz, feeding or any combinations or all out what would
be the colony kill? This MIGHT lead us indirectly to explain causes of
colony kill.

Bob said:

I have looked at a huge number of claimed CCD hives and the one common
denominator with all the hives is that all the hives NEVER fit ALL the
symptoms the CCD working group has posted. In fact only a small
percentage
ever does!

Answer: this is true. First reports were showed CCD everywhere. Now,
last survey from the USA mentioned, what 7% of dead colony had CCD
symptoms. Not bad, eh.

Medhat