From:
aweinert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 06:49:41 +0000
Forwarded message:

I tried the method also but used the higher heat setting (1500 W). As
I see it the uncapping of a cell results from both temperature and
time: at higher setting you can uncap faster as cell cappings get
the heat required to melt them faster. It is easy to learn the
correct way to move the nozzle over the comb face. If you do it too
slowly the result will be a diaphragm of wax over the cells.

> The decapping results are excellent; the wax melts on the tops of the
> cells and is then pulled by the surface tension of the liquid wax onto
> the tops of the cell walls, leaving the honey free for extraction.

In the first lot of honey combs I uncapped with hot air blower the
results were excellent, too. However, uncapping the second lot caused
some problems and I had to complement the hot air uncapping
with a fork. In this lot most combs had dark cappings (honey touches
the cappings  without an air space under cappings) and these combs
don't uncap well enough with hot air as the heat is transferred into
the honey. (By the way, does somebody have an answer what determines
the capping style with or without air space: the bees or the nectar
source?).  Similarly, if there is honey spilled onto the comb face,
this also binds the heat and prevents the melting of the wax below.

> The technique is so quick and easy that I am a convert,

Me too, despite the incomplete results seen with the dark
capped combs.

By the way, the method itself to uncap the cells with heat is not
new. There is at least an article in the finnish beekeeping magazine
'Mehilaishoitaja' in 1983 (Vol 17, p. 14-18) by Kauko Ahonen, who
used a propane torch for the purpose.

*  Seppo Korpela                     Agricultural Research Center of Finland
*  Phone  INT + 358 3 4188 576       Institute of Plant Protection
*  FAX    INT + 358 3 4188 584       FIN-31600 Jokioinen
*  E-mail [log in to unmask]       Finland