From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 22:11:49 +0900
Bob Fanning wrote:

>I have a strange bee kill that seems to be affecting mostly young bees.    I
>suspect it to be heat related...
>I have the hives well ventilated.    I suspect this may be adding to my
>problem as the bees can not adequately drop the temperature of circulating
>100 + degree air.

You don't mention how far the bees have to go to a source of water for hive
cooling.  Given access to plentiful supplies, bees are very effective in
reducing internal hive temperature.

I think you are right in suspecting the ventilation.  I believe there is
much greater control possible if the bees have one entrance where they can
direct an inward flow and an outward flow through the same space.

We have similar temperatures during summer in Australia - I would always
look to adequate good quality water as the first remedy.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
J.H. & E. McAdam<[log in to unmask]
http://kigateway.kin.on.net/hogbay/hogbay1.htm

Why not visit the South Australian Superb Websites Ring?
http://kw.mtx.net/sawebring/sawebring.html