From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:34:45 -0500
>  finding good stock in places where you would not
>expect much influence from domestics such as the
>woodlands is perplexing to me,

Actually, that's exactly where I would expect you to find what you are
finding. Away from those "domestic" bees that you had such a bad time with.
Where winter has had its way.

>  Is there a particular time of the year these
>supersedure colonies are more prone to supersede?

I think it happens all the time, but maybe you notice it later in the
season, after the fact? Are you finding multiple queens in these superceded
colonies?

>If you would please, how is Kirk doing his isolated...

Joe, you'll have to ask Kirk these questions...so my suggestion is to
attend the meeting.

>   What tools
>are you using to determine the level of PMS that would
>necessitate blowing out the colony? but it is something I believe I need
>to select against.

Again...I'm not blowing bees out, Kirk is. Ask him. I would say though,
that you can tell which colonies won't make our Vermont winter by looking
at the brood. With advanced PMS, where the bees are digging out brood, and
the symptoms almost mimic EFB or the like, it would be obvious which
colonies to blow out.

I bet this varroa tolerance business will boil down to PMS resistance..in
the long run.
Mike