Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2010 15:21:30 GMT
>>So does this mean the progression of tasks performed by a worker bee is untrue, from cell cleaner to nurse bee to wax production to guard bee to foraging bee?
There are studies where they put only forager bees with a laying queen.  The forager bees were able to 're-start' their hypopharryngeal glands to secrete royal jelly for the larvae.  The worker bee specialization is not limited to a single task ability.  At least not when colony conditions change.
>>The scientists discovered that the heater bees work to subtly change the temperature of each developing pupae by around a degree and this small change determines what kind of honey bee it will become.
If one heater bee can control the temp of up to 70 pupae, this temp influence is not per each pupae but per groupings of pupae.  Once the heat is generated by the heater bee, it transmits on its own across the wax walls, cell air, and pupae themselves resulting in a temperature gradient.
My interest would be in mapping groupings or regions of bee pupae heated to the different temperatures for the various specializations.  Do the specific temperatures need to be maintained during the entire pupae phase or a limited period of time?  If limited time period, this would explain seeing different temperatures (for different age pupae).
How do the bees track what sectors will be what temperature/specialization - I think this tracking could lost during beekeeper inspection disturbances etc.?  How do they re-set?
>>Those kept at 35 degrees C turn into the intelligent forager bees that leave the nest in search of nectar and pollen.
I would make the argument that house bees are no less intelligent in the tasks they perform. :-)
>>Those kept at 34 degrees C emerge as "house keeper" bees that never leave the nest, conducting chores such as feeding the larvae and cleaning the nest.
I'd think the house bees, at a minimum, need to take cleansing flights...
An interesting study indeed.  Has raised a lot of questions in my mind for sure.
Waldemar