From:
Eugene Makovec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 17:03:31 -0700
I give a number of these talks, mostly at schools
(usually 4th to 5th grade) but an occasional garden
club. I insist on a full hour or more, as it's hard to
cover what I want to cover in less time.
With kids, I give a brief history of how mankind
discovered honey,beeswax and later pollination. I
spend a lot of time on "bee biology" and bring an
empty hive and equipment to show them.  I pass around
honeycomb and foundation, and photos I've taken of the
bees. I also make sure I cover differences between
honeybees and wasps, especially yellowjackets.

I never charge money at schools. (I consider it
community service, and I enjoy it immensely.)With
other groups, I take honey to sell, but I think I will
begin charging the garden clubs, since my time is
worth something and I know they have the money.
Eugene Makovec
Kirkwood, MO USA