From:
Gavin Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 12:15:42 -0000
Jerry

>Hi:  A mathematical modeler contends that bee foraging flights can be
>modeled by diffusion theory.  Comments?

By diffusion theory, you mean equations that describe the movement of
particles out from a source, characterised by many random shifts in
direction of the particle?  This seems highly inappropriate for bee foraging
activity which we all know to be a highly directed and selective activity,
relying on communication (by dance or scent trails, I'll leave it up to you
to decide), prior experience, choice, reward, attractiveness to receiving
bees in the hive.  Bees just don't work in random directions out from the
hive, with ever-decreasing intensity at longer distances.  As colonies they
work largely in corridors towards the best local forage, as individuals to
favourite patches.  The effect at the colony level must be the efficient
exploitation of the available resource, something far from consistent with
diffusion theory.

But I guess that you knew this already!

As one mathematical modeller told me, the best use of mathematical models is
to help understand the processes and patterns, and to define the areas where
understanding is poor.  This can only happen when mathematicians
sufficiently understand the biology, and there is good interaction between
the biologists and the mathematicians.

Gavin.