From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 19:56:48 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From:   Rodney Farrar [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Saturday, February 09, 2002 6:32 AM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Insurance

Hello Rodney and All,
If you are a member of the American Beekeeping Federation you can get insurance on their group plan. I have used the plan for years but most hobby beekeepers do not as they feel the cost is high for the returns from their hobby. With the ABF plan also comes product liability. You can not buy only  liability. The price for the lowest coverage is less than you quoted.
Actually all though most hobby beekeepers and even some sideliners do not carry insurance if a problem ever come up I am sure you would have wished you had insurance. I have never had a claim but feel better knowing I won't lose everything in a lawsuit. I might could do without insurance as I am incorporated also for protection but then all assets of the corp would be at risk.
My ABF insurance also qualifies  for coverage at street festivals. I have to send an ABF insurance copy with my booth rent or buy liability insurance from the festival. The insurance at one festival I do if bought from the festival is around $40. . All insurance has little to do with beekeeping but for peace of mind from a law suit. In a law suit negligence would have to be proven  in an expensive lawsuit. Always watch the placement of hives as putting hives across the fence from a playground might be considered negligence.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison