From:
BeeFarmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:44:30 -0500

Subject: On Pierco plastic frames.

> I plan to start two hives with black Pierco frames this coming spring.
> The advantages seem to be clear: from cost effectiveness, through better
> visibility of eggs, to more cell space.

I enjoy using the black as it is easier than the white to see eggs>

> 1.  Are package bees really reluctant to draw comb on plastic frames
> (unless there is a heavy nectar flow)?  (When I get my packages, around
> April 21, I expect to have to feed them syrup for a while to let them
> build up properly.)

I haven't seen any real issues with building these up.  Don't mix with other
frames and yes feed , feed, feed.

> 2.  Are there any concerns about violating bee space in 7/8" hive bodies
> ?  (One archived post raised the alarm.)

I  haven't seen any issues with this.  Depending on where you woodenware
comes from this might be an issue.

> 3.  Any problems with inserting 9 plastic frames still be inserted into
> a hive body?  (One post suggested there must be 10.)

I always use 10 and drop to 9 as needed.  I don't run 9 frames in the brood
area althought I run them in the supers.  I also use plastic in the supers
however, I use white plastic there.

> 4.  Is there any merit to the claims that the plastic material may
> outgas and enter wax/honey ?  I know we use plastic pails and jars to
> store honey.  Can it be verified, that Pierco is using the same food
> grade plastic material in their frames??

Haven't heard of any issues.  It would be interesting if there was an issue.

> If there is a good, solid write-up on this, please let me know.
>
> I want to play it safe and have a piece of mind.  Thank you.
>
> Waldemar

Just some other comments on using plastic.  I don't like the complete
plastic frame.  I like to build wooden frames and insert the plastic in
them.  The wooden frames don't flex like the plastic frames.  I also llike
to spray my brood frames with sugar water to the wax build up.  I don't
spray my honey super frames as I don't want to chance having any sugar water
in my honey.  The only other issue I had was with the plastic complete frame
it would go into my extractor I had to make some cuts to the frame or
extractor.. and I choose to cut the frames.

BeeFarmer
Getting Kids involved in 4H Beekeeping
http://www.homestead.com/BeeKeepers/