From:
Peter Detchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:09:47 -0700
Hi Jerry,

A couple of thoughts come to mind regarding your observations on feeding
bees in high heat conditions.

>Now for the problem, either they are shut down because of the intense heat
> in the hive and need to cool it, or they, like people, don't work in
'black
> flag' conditions, or its a combination of the two.

Another problem under these high heat conditions that can induce the bees to
stop flying, is heat radiation from the ground. We find that when temps get
over 40 celsius, and here 45+ is not uncommon, bees will not even fly to
water sources close by, when they have to fly over light coloured ground
such as white sand. Under these conditions it is not unusual to see intense
flight activity early morning and late afternoon, with virtually no flight
activity during the day. The hives do roar with fanning activity though even
if they are in the shade, (which is essential). At these times the bees are
more focussed on survival than gathering!

Another question that comes to mind however, is what is in your feeders?

Eric Mussens recent article about sub lethal effects of pesticides on
honeybees, has alerted us here to the possibility that pesticide residue
levels in the cane sugar syrup we feed during times of dearth, whilst well
within (we hope!) the MRLs set for human consumption  may well be too high
for safely feeding to bees. Some of us here have observed unusual
behavioural responses in our bees which could be explained by this scenario
and which may well be a newly emerging hazard for beekeepers consequent upon
changing pesticide use patterns by the growers.We will trial use of
certified organic sugar to investigate this possibility, although it is
difficult to source organic sugar that is as highly refined as the
conventional product. Needless to say HFCS is not available here.

Peter Detchon
Western Australia