Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2019 00:45:53 +0000

   >>A question for Randy et al - is the South African (Southern Africa) experience a result of aggressive hygiene by scuttelata and capensis towards Varroa? Or are other dynamics in play?
Just thinking that if the viral vector is Varroa, and it is being ‘controlled’ in some manner, then DWV and other horrors might be getting controlled via that route. Possible?
Brian

Below is from a conversation from a South Africa discussion group:

Honey bee parasites, varroa mites, feed on fatty organs, not blood

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/01/190114161137.htm

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/fat-bees-part-1/
 "one of the big differences between African and European bees is the degree of fatness. Back to Amdam again (2005b): “Our data indicate that European workers have a higher set-point concentration for vitellogenin compared to their African origin. Considered together with available life history information and physiological data, the results lend support to the view that “winter bees”, a longlived honey bee worker caste that survives winter in temperate regions, evolved through an increase in the worker bees’ capacity for vitellogenin accumulation.” Thus the African bees’ strategy of absconding and searching for new food resources, rather than hunkering down and waiting it out."

Pat Bono