From:
Gavin Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2006 21:54:51 +0100
Hi Trevor

I gave you the short version on another forum, after using my beginner's
Spanish.  For those interested, the term describes the appearance of seeds
in clementines and other seedless citrus due to pollination coming from
hybrid mandarin oranges planted by some growers.  The latter produce viable
pollen, the others don't.

However, as it happens, you can read many reports of the controversy in a
form of English by Googling for 'pinyola' then hitting the [Translate this
page] link.

Beekeepers are caught in the middle of this mess.  The authorities in
Valencia in Spain have been forcing beekeepers, through annual decrees, to
move their stocks 5 km away from citrus plantations and so away from this
lucrative honey crop.  Late payments of agreed compensation have caused some
beekeepers to disregard these decrees, damaging the citrus crops, and there
have been demonstrations and protests of various kinds, including hunger
strikes.

Honeybees may have been falsely targeted: many other insects visit citrus
flowers, and wind pollination is possible too.

all the best

Gavin.