From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:37:39 -0500
Thomas Vic VM wrote:

> Canada announced that it will extend for 5 years its ban on the importation
> of honeybess from the US except Hawaii (Canada Gazette, Part II, Aug 30, Vol
> 134, No 18, pg 2044 to 2048). They give several reasons for this ban
> including mites and  small hive beetles but they also make reference to
> Parasitic Mite Syndrome, a viral infection possibly associated with mites
> appearing in several U.S. mainland states.
>
> I don't recall hearing about this new syndrome, should we be worried?
>Hello Vic,
PMS is a name given to viral infections (Shiminuki) associated with the
open wounds caused by parasitic mites. In my opinion when control of
mites is in the 90+ range i see very little PMS. PMS is real and has
been presant in most colonies which have had severe varroa mite
infestations.  When a colony has a severe varroa infestation they should
be eliminated from the apiary to stop the spread of varroa through
robbing and the spread of viral infections from open wounds.  I  treated
many of these hives but now i eliminate them.
I also understand why Canada has extended the ban another five years. I
am seeing many beekeepers in trouble over using apistan without re
checking.  Packages entering Canada from the U.S. could come from varroa
infested hives.  Coumaphous could get the varroa down to undetectable
levels and PMS viral infections could enter Canada.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison