From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2011 01:21:20 -0600
?> Here in the flatlands of northern Illinois, several fields of corn can
> be planted in one day.

My point was not that the amount of time it took to plant a field but rather
that fields are seeded as the many different farmers schedules allow. As you
drive through corn country you see corn just breaking ground  and corn up to
three feet tall. Corn pollen is available to the bees over *in my opinion *
at least a month and more likely a two month period.

Certainly a longer period that the 7-10 day period put forth by Paul.

The current trend I see is the farmers wanting to plant corn (for profits)
but as the season progresses and weather patterns change the farmer may
return to beans. The first pattern I observed was the dropping of the
routine of corn, beans then plant clover to simply beans one year and corn
the next.

Then I observed simply planting the crop which had the highest futures. I
saw awhile back  soybeans after soybeans (when I believe beans were bring
around $14 a bushel) but never as much as the corn after corn I see now.

Jinglebees ask around in your area and report back what you hear about
farmers dropping the rotation of corn,beans & clover which was the standard
with my family all of my life.

bob