From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 12:34:18 -0800
At 07:13 AM 12/16/98 -0800, you wrote:
FOLLOW UP ON H-ANA THREAD

Hi Beekeepers & Friends,

>suspicious samples of honey should be sent too. I must also say I have
>asked the Dhampur Sugar company for a sample of H-ana for analysis and
>they have shipped it today, they say. I will give it the OLd Drones 98
>cent honey test before I send it off for a look see

What me worry, the Rabbit died but it was not dead?

As promised I sent off the sugar and honey samples and have now received
the verbal reports.

The H-ana passed the first tests for honey at the normal honey packer level
of lab testing but on further testing was identified as a sugar product.
Interesting when blended with honey it was easily detected as an
adulterated honey but at the 100% sugar product level required outside lab
work to confirm it was not honey.  I guess you could say the advertising on
this product was half correct.

The 8 oz Squeeze Bear sample PASSED the honey tests at all lab levels but
the rabbit died. What can be said here is that some blends of pure honey
will and do look specious but legally are passed. (Cotton, mesquite,
orange, manzanita are a few examples of honeys that when blended with
clover type honey's may give a false alarm.)  In fact what this all says is
that no tests exists for honey adulteration this date that would give you
the 100% reliability all the time at low levels of addition of certain
sugars that are naturally found in honey at different levels depending on
the floral type. Or sometimes these samples of honey are so to say
adulterated naturally by the bees with no intention of deception and
normally some of these samples will register as adulterated when not. (Its
a cop out to protect the producer and without it most of us would be in
trouble because our bees will work what they will work through no fault of
our own.)

Do I think the Squeeze Bear's were adulterated? NO I do not, but they could
have been at very low levels. Also knowing the packer source of these
samples I do not think they were adulterated but continued testing is
warranted..

As for the H-ana product... Today the door is open a crack and the chances
of passing this off as honey are poor but possible at the honey packer
level. Bee sure this crack may have already closed and will be soon as new
samples are received and reviewed by testing labs.

At the producer level depending on what packer the adulterated honey is
sold to it still will be caught sooner or later in normal honey industry
standard lab testing.

The producer of this product may bee actively trying to sell this product
in the US and Canada. It is not know if  this effort has been successful
other then rumors. For most the difference in cost between pure honey and
H-ana and other HF sugars is not great enough to make it attractive but
does warrant watching.

IMHO, the OLd Drone
http://beenet.com

(c)Permission is given to copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.

(w)OPINIONS are not necessarily facts. USE  AT OWN RISK!