From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 17:58:06 EDT
    Lloyd writes:

<<Because pollen has just about every vitamin  known and is full of protein,
it is very susceptible to attack by mold, fungus and even bacteria.  Thus,
it must be frozen to kill some, and some of the natural moisture removed to
make it less attractive.  Unfortunately, in their greed, most mass
processors of pollen remove so much moisture (read..."nectar"...) that  the
pollen becomes bitter and crunchy!  However, they then have 1-2 year shelf
life at room temperature.  In fact, I have never found pollen in a health
food store that was properly processed!>>

    What's the best way to store small quantities for family use? The three I
know of are freezing, drying (but I don't know how to control the amount of
moisture extracted, and suspect that the equipment for doing this might be
uneconomical for the quantities I have in mind) and mixing it with honey.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley