Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 08:53:24 -0800
On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 06:26:58AM -0600, John Keim wrote:
> I am a sideliner in Northeast Kansas, and run about 100 colonies. This is my
> 6th season upcoming. Last spring I ordered Checkmite strips for varroa
> control from Mann Lake, as I did the year before.
>
> Yesterday a representative from the Kansas State Department of Ag. (didn't
> state which branch) called and questioned my wife about installation,
> disposal and use, and  whether Mann Lake had sent the proper labeling for of
> the Checkmite strips. He told her that Mann Lake was required by law to
> My wife doesn't work in the yards with me, so she told him he would need to
> talk to me.

It is sad to say that you must be careful in what you say or do in regards
to communication with a state official. One misunderstood statment can
result in big problems. If this was your state bee inspector then you
should be OK. But other agencies are always looking for ways to expand
their turf, and funding along with it.

If questions need to be answered then get them in writing and respond in
writing. For those who commented on "open and honest" then they should
endorse this even more as it reduces the chances of missunderstandings.

--

There is no doubt we need government in our lives. There is also no doubt
that we need salt in our diet. Watch out for too much of either one.
AA4YU http://www.beekeeper.org http://www.q7.net