From:
Kent Stienburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 21:03:35 -0500
Hello Mr. Imirie,

Thanks for your response. I have a great respect for someone of your
experience.   I agree with you 100% about the upper entrance.  I always use
one in the winter cut into an inner cover with 2" x 7" screened opening
along the top to allow ventilation. On top of which I place a box much the
same dimension as a shallow super with screened holes cut in each side to
allow the air to escape.  I use this set up year round.  I also never reduce
the front entrances, just put hardware cloth in front to keep out the mice.
Proper ventilation in any area with snow and cold is critical for hive heath
"as you have said".  However, through out the summer last year I  observed
few bees using the top entrance (approx 2.5" long) cut into my inner cover
compared to the bottom entrance.  The difference in this thread is the
complete CLOSING of the bottom entrance and placing a queen excluder ontop
of the nest, then the entrance, then the supers.  It is the placement of the
excluder and the blocking of the bottom entrance that concern me.  This is
what my questions are trying to address :)

Respectfully
Kent Stienburg
Ontario Canada