From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2019 09:18:14 -0700
> My understanding of the Arnot bees is that they are "tolerant" due to
isolation and small colony/cavity size causing frequent swarms.

This brings up an important point, Paul -- understanding the difference
between resistance and tolerance.
Mite-tolerance involves traits such as DWV resistance, small colony size,
minimal production of drone brood, and frequent swarming.  Tolerance does
not address the issue of the high rate of successful varroa reproduction in
the hive.

Mite resistance, on the other hand, involves traits that suppress mite
reproduction or survivability.  Resistance addresses the problem directly
by targeting the reproductive success of the mite.

When tracheal mite invaded, it was the resistant bloodlines that survived,
not the "tolerant" ones.  Thus we rarely worry about tracheal mite any more.
Ditto with wax moth after it arrived -- we all keep wax-moth-resistant
stock nowadays, not "tolerant" stock.

Seeley demonstrated that the survivability of stock in his area was all
about cavity size.  In small cavities, colonies quickly plug out with honey
and then repeatedly swarm -- thus sending off enough mites with the swarms
to keep them barely in check.  There is no "bee-keeping" involved, and no
benefit over simply having a bunch of tree cavities available in the
environment.  I don't see the point.  The honey bee is not a native
pollinator in North America, thus there is little reason to "keep" it
unless you want to harvest honey or provide pollination services to
monocultures.  Bees that are merely "tolerant" will not provide either to
any extent.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA