From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 00:02:31 -0500
Hello Jim,
Enjoyed your post. Never hurts to put a little humor into the subject.

 I live 30 minutes from any form of help out in the country so by the time
help arrives the problem is usually over.

Like the time I burnt 20 feet off the end of the honey house. I had the fire
out and the loader pulled from the building by the time the fire dept.
arrived.

Or the time a car went in the ditch out front with a man trying to kill a
man he was holding hostage. Turned his butt over to the sheriff when he
arrived. The hostage taker had brought a knife to a gun fight. Unlike in the
big city the sheriff thanked me and said nothing of using a firearm. The man
had warrants out for his arrest when he hijacked the driver of the car while
pumping gas in a bad part of Kansas City. He was trying to stab the hostage
when the car crashed into the ditch. Unlike my epipen I did not have to go
into the house to get my gun .

Jim wrote:
> ...so just focus on getting to someone who can deal with the problem
> without hitting a tree along the way.

30 minute drive is a long time.

Knowing the right time to give the epipen could be scary *if* the person was
unconscious and then Jim's advice would be best.

 If they are awake they can simply point to their throat. I am sure I would
know when to give myself the shot.

Animals are harder to figure out.
animal story:
I had just given five four week old animals a CD&T shot. They were in a
corral with their mothers. I walked back into the house . My wife's mother
(now deceased) was looking out the window. She said "Bob come quick
something's wrong with that baby". The baby was running wide open into the
fence then getting up and running wide open into the fence in another
direction. Only worried about the baby breaking his neck I bolted out the
door and jumped the fence and caught the baby and pinned the animal on the
ground. I had by then a pretty good idea of the problem but the baby was a
handful to hold. By then my wife's  mother (80 years old and lived with us)
came out. I told her exactly where the epipen was in the office in a yellow
package. I heard her praying all the way as she went into the house. I could
not believe that in about five minutes she appeared with the epipen. My
office is not in perfect order. I gave the animal the shot in the hip and
slowly the animal began to relax and breathe again. I called my vet and he
said the animal would have surely died before he could have gotten to the
farm.

I also know CPR and took a course a couple years ago in baby CPR which is
handled differently as I have got two grandsons which are less than two
years old and stay with us at times out here. I have never had to use CPR
but would hate to think a loved one died because I was not able to give CPR.

Bob

THREE KINDS OF PEOPLE

*those who make things happen

*Those who watch things happen