From:
Layne Westover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 09:36:27 -0600
>>> [log in to unmask] 03/01/02 08:59AM >>>
Patrick says:
There are a couple reasons this won't work.

First,
......snip.........
Once the maples
bud, which is the time the bees will start to forage, the sap flow is over.

Second, maple sap averages about 2% sugar content. Honeybees will generally
not gather nectar that is less than 15% sugar content, and usually it is
much higher.

..........snip........

>         Will the bees go to the taps in the trees?  Could it
> be feed to them
> to make maple honey?  I'd like to hear for and against.  I
> think it would bee
> a better product.

.......snip.......

Here I will add my opinions, based on things I've read (but I can't remember
where).

My guess is that there will be natural chemicals in the tree sap that will be
hard on the bees, either causing diarrhea or consitpation, as one would
probably find in most 'nectars' that do not come from flowers (things such as
tree fruit, honeydew, etc.)

Although I understand why bees would not go directly to the trees and flow
of sap (because it is too cold when the sap is flowing), I don't see why one
could not take the sap or a somewhat more concentrated sap and feed it in
feeders directly to the bees.  My guess is that it has probably already been
tried with negative results, and that is why it isn't done.  If someone wanted
to learn why all over again, they could sure try the direct feeding and see
what happens.  Another reason it might not be done is that the maple syrup
is worth much more as maple syrup than it would be as honey.  I wouldn't
buy maple syrup to feed to my bees.  I'd put it on pancakes and eat it
myself.

Layne Westover, College Station, Texas