From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2008 22:10:02 -0500
Bob Harrison wrote:
>I personally would like to see all applicators of toxic class pesticides
>registered and go through training. Only  the mildest pesticides available
>to the general public.

Yes, well, as I have said before, I have been certified in New York
State to use and advise on pesticides. A phrase like "only the mildest
pesticides" completely dismisses the complexity of the issues.

Formic acid, for example, can peel off your skin, but when properly
applied, it is safe for bees and kills mites. Coumaphos, an
organophospate, is mild enough to hold in your hand, and is safe if
applied correctly. However, if absorbed repeatedly over a period of
time, Coumaphos affects the nervous system through cholinesterase
inhibition, the blockage of an enzyme required for proper nerve
functioning.

Organophosphate insecticides include some of the most toxic
pesticides. They can enter the human body through skin absorption,
inhalation and ingestion. They can affect cholinesterase activity in
both red blood cells and in blood plasma, and can act directly, or in
combination with other enzymes, on cholinesterase in the body.

Cholinesterase , or acetylcholine, produced in the liver, is one of
many important enzymes needed for the proper functioning of the
nervous systems of humans, other vertebrates, and insects. The health
effects of organophosphates, carbamates, and other cholinesterase
inhibitors are dose respondent: the amount of the chemical and the
duration of exposure are directly proportional to the severity of the
symptoms.

Imidacloprid is notable for its relatively low toxicity to most
animals other than insects. This potentially allows for lower
concentrations to be used for insect control than other neurotoxins
(particularly organophosphates) and enabling its use in applications
as diverse as flea treatments for pets, control of beetle larvae in
lawns, eradication or prevention of termite infestation in buildings,
and other uses where animals and people may be exposed.

It is rated as an "unlikely" carcinogen by the EPA (group E), and is
not listed for endocrine, reproductive, or developmental toxicity, or
as a chemical of special concern by any agencies. It is not banned,
restricted, canceled, or illegal to import in any country.

I am not FOR or AGAINST any particular pesticide. With pesticides,
less is usually better. If a product kills pests quickly and
dissipates, obviously that is better for the non-target organisms
(birds, bees, you and I). Slow release chemicals are far more
insidious, and especially ones that accumulate in the food chain, such
as mercury and DDT. Does Imidacloprid cause colony collapse? I don't
have any idea. It is certainly plausible, but that doesn't make it so.

--
Peter L. Borst
Danby, NY  USA