From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:56:29 -0400
In reference to my comment that "more bee stings" can serve to desensitize one to the effects of bee stings, Janet A. Katz wrote, "The statement that more bee stings relieve the symptoms is so untrue that it is dangerous!".

Actually, my comment is spot on and I stick by it.  As one receives more bee stings, the body becomes more accepting of them.  The "desensitization" to which Janet refers is precisely giving a body exposure to the agent that is causing the problem reaction.  Admittedly, the dosage is more controlled.  I too had one (that's one, (1), a single unit, greater than zero, less than 2) concerning reaction to a bee sting, once in my life.  It was a stressing reaction.  I was hot, I broke out in hives, I itched all over, I sought medical assistance.  I cannot explain it, it was suggested strongly that I start desensitizing treatments, it was suggested STRONGLY that I give up beekeeping, and I left with a prescription for an epipen, which I filled and kept in my glove compartment in my truck.  This is precisely the "scare" approach to which I referred in my last post, and unfortunately is the routine song and dance given at most doctor offices across the country.  I didn't buy it.  I DID get the epipen, and must admit the fear factor associated with my next sting was quite high.  More than a thousand stings later I can unequivocally say I am glad I didn't give up beekeeping or buy into the whole desensitizing routine.  Such was my personal experience, your results may vary.

Janet bought into the song and dance.  She went the desensitizing route, and although she didn't state so, I assume she was "cured" by modern medicine.  Praise the process that cured her!  It's pointless to ask if her experience may have been the same as mine (one bad reaction, never repeated) because she chose a different path. Praise the process that cured her!  Beware being armed with the truth.

>> "thinking true allergic reactions are quite rare"
> Up to 5 percent of Americans are at risk for severe, potentially
> life-threatening allergic reactions from stinging insects,
As a degreed mathematician and statistician I am keenly aware that there are 4 kinds of lies in this world, lies, dammed lies, maps and statistics!  US population is roughly 300 Billion people, up to 5% of which is up to 15 billion people.  I have a problem getting my concern level up to "high" based on the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (AAAAI)'s estimate.  I would not be so bold as to insinuate that perhaps the AAAAI may have a self-serving interest in such a statistic.

> It REALLY doesn't matter how rare the reaction is if you're one of the
> 40 people that die each year from a reaction to an insect sting.
I do not make light of 40 deaths,  but at the same time observe that 40 is a far cry from 15 billion.

Regardless, this is all a digression from my original point, which I stand by.  There are far fewer people with true allergic reactions to bee stings than there are people who have been encouraged by misguided reinforcement that they have true allergic reactions to bee stings.

Aaron Morris - still thinking true allergic reactions are quite rare