From:
Jerry Fries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 1996 17:09:17 -0800
I think my last message went through.Tom you Know a lot more about bees
than I do but because of our area I may have some info that would be of
interest.First as you know when cold bees cluster to stay warm,they need a
large enough cluster to circulate and food in the area they can cover. They
will not separate from the cluster to get food unless the temp is approx 43
degrees so help them make as large a ball as possable and make sure they
are on top of food. Next bees will not fly in RED light so if you need heat
or if you want to work bees in the dark use dim red light.Enginuity  and
effort will help you use these Ideas. Also When bees get really cold they
get very suggish They may even look dead but dont give up.Gently brush them
into something,take them inside and spray them with WARM thin syrup.and
keep them in the dark.most will revive. But remmember they need food that
they can reach.A box with three frames gives them the ability to cluster
naturally. th food needs to be above the cluster because heat rises. You
can work with these bees in a totally dark room under a red christmas tree
light bulb.
                                                Best wishes Jerrry Fries