From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 10:15:34 -0700
> > it looks to me as if you are saying that morphometrics is only good for
> > comparison and selection within a known population of honey bees.

> If so, by extension, I would see that as suggesting that the technique is
> not well suited to identifying the race of unknown samples of honey bees.

<snip>

> Morphometry is no 'magic bullet' and should never be the final arbiter in
> decision making.

<snip>

> Any morphometry project is only as good as the database that it is founded
> upon, In Europe we use Ruttner's well established data and still argue
> over some of the fine details, but if you are trying to identify something
> like AHB, you will need a database that has been developed from colonies
> that are known to be AHB by behaviour that can be traced back to Kerr's
> experiment.

Thanks for confirming what I suspected, Dave.

As I maybe mentioned here previously, on a vist to the ARS lab in Tucson,
several years back,I learned (and observed) that they are using a
morphometric technique as a primary method of AHB detection, and checking
samples sent from all over.  This surprised me, since my impression had been
that the technique is limited by the factors you so clearly explained above.

That having been said, and knowing the limitations, I might suggest that
those in the US wanting to do such analysis or have it done, might contact
The Carl Hayden Research Centre.  They are very friendly and there to serve.

http://ars.usda.gov/main/site_main.htm?modecode=53-42-03-00

allen